Another year has come and gone. And with all due respect to the ancient Mayans, looks like there will be a 2013. Before we move on the next year, here's my list of the best and worst of 2012.
1. Best event: William & Rachel's wedding! Definately the event of the year. One down, two to go.
2. Best milestone: Our 30th wedding anniversary. And it keeps getting better.
4. Best TV show:Duck Dynasty. Everyone has been talking about Willie, Uncle Si, and the bearded boys. I finally watched an episode last week, and got addicted. Faith, family, ducks. Plus camo, guns, and ZZ Top beards. What's not to love!
5. Best song: Unforgiven by Joe Cocker. While in Brisbane my Aussie friend, Wayne Alcorn, reintroduced me to Joe. I returned the favor by introducing Wayne to country music and country culture on his trip to Music City. Dragged him to the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Grand Ole Opry. Also bought him an Eric Church CD and a Roy D Mercer CD. He almost admitted that country music is actually legit music. Almost.
7. Best conference: Asia Pastors Equipping Conference (aka APEC) in Manila. My day job takes me to lots of conferences all over the world every year, and APEC is always our favorite. Nothing compares with reconnecting with pastors and leaders friends from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, China, Mongolia, Myanmar, and two dozen other Asian nations. This year the Middle East Strategic Summit (aka MESS) in Dubai was a close second.
8. Best movie: Les Miserables. Lincoln was good, but Les Mis is a classic. Watching the epic battle between mercy and judgment, between law and grace never gets old. It is good to remember that we all have an inner 24601 running from past sins, until we encounter grace, mercy, and forgiveness.
9. Best trip: Safari in South Africa with Deborah and our son, James. Lions, elephants, rhinos, cape buffalo, zebras, giraffes, hippos, leopards, hyenas. We saw them all, up close and personal. One of our best trips ever!
10. Worst millisecond in a sports event: Marquez no-look right to Congressman Pacquiao's jaw. I'm still trying to forget.
What were your best and worst of 2012?